Sneaking More Fruit into Your Day
We all know that we should eat more fruit and vegetables, and generally we manage pretty well with the veggies. It's not that hard to have several different vegetables with a meal, or a Grilled Chicken Salad as a meal. But it can be a little tough finding places to squeeze in more fruit. It can be done, you just have to get creative!
Since there's very little chance that you'll eat too much fruit, it's safe to assume that you should start adding more fruit to your diet each day. Below are a few ideas to get you started:
1. Toss blueberries, bananas, peaches, or strawberries into your cereal or oatmeal.
2. Drink a tall glass of juice each morning, and one between supper and bedtime.
3. My favorite: Stir fruit into vanilla yogurt and top off with granola. It's so delicous, you can convince anyone (including yourself) that it's dessert! You'll be getting a dose of dairy at the same sitting.
4. Experiment with fruit smoothies. You'll get addicted. Fast.
5. Serve canned fruit with cottage cheese. Again, you'll benefit from the dairy as well as the fruit.
6. In a delicious word: Cobblers!
But the best advice is actually pretty simple. Buy fruit and put it out in plain view for all to see - on the counter, on a table, in the family room or living room.
Out of sight, out of mind. In sight, in mind. ***
by Joi Sigers
About the author: Joi Sigers is a writer and web publisher with a passion for cooking. Buttermilk Press and her food blog, Get Cooking, came as a result of this passion!