Lemon Pepper Seasoning Mix
Lemon pepper adds a piquant flavor when used on grilled meats.
1 cup ground black pepper
1/3 cup dried lemon peel
3 tablespoons coriander seeds
1/4 cup dried minced onion
1/4 cup dried thyme leaves
Stir all the ingredients together and store in airtight jars.
Attach these instructions to the jar:
Grilled Lemon Chicken
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons Lemon Pepper Seasoning Mix
6 chicken cutlets
Preheat the broiler or grill. In a low, flat dish stir together the lemon juice, oil and Lemon Pepper Seasoning Mix. Add the chicken breasts, and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 to 45 minutes. Grill over hot coals or broil for 4 minutes on each side, or until done. Serve hot or at room temperature.
5 1/2 to 6 lbs. whole free-range roaster
kosher or coarse sea salt
cracked black pepper
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 T. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 C. chicken broth or stock
1/2 C. dry red wine
1 large carrot, scrubbed and cut into chunks
1 medium onion, cut into -inch slices
1 T. of unsalted butter (optional)
Preheat the oven to 450°F, setting the rack at the middle level.
Season the cavity of the chicken with salt, pepper and 2 sprigs of the thyme. Rub the outside with the softened butter and season with salt, pepper, and the leaves of the remaining sprigs of thyme.
Combine the broth and wine in a measuring cup or pitcher. Scatter the carrot chunks and onion slices on the bottom of a roasting pan.
Place the chicken breast side up on the adjustable roasting rack and set it in the pan. Roast for 10 minutes.
Baste with about 2 tablespoons of the wine and broth mixture and turn the chicken on its side. Baste, and roast for 10 minutes. Baste again and turn the chicken on its other side. Baste and roast for an additional 10 minutes.
Lower the temperature to 350°F, baste again, and roast for 15 minutes. Baste, turn the chicken onto its other side, and continue roasting for 15 minutes.
Turn the chicken breast side up and baste. Continue roasting for an additional 40 to 50 minutes or until done, basting every 10 to 15 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a carving board and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
Pour the accumulated cooking juices and vegetables from the roasting pan into a small saucepan, add the pat of butter, and place over low heat, keeping the mixture warm.
Carve the chicken and arrange the pieces on a serving platter. Pour the sauce through a fine sieve, pressing down on the vegetables to extract the liquid, into a warmed sauce boat. Pass the sauce at the table.
Makes 6 servings.
Bourbon Pecan Roast Chicken
1 whole chicken-about 3 pounds
salt and freshly ground pepper -- to taste
3 tablespoons fresh tarragon -- chopped -or 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary -- chopped-or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
4 whole garlic cloves -- peeled
3 small onions -- peeled
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup broken pecans
1/2 cup bourbon -- divided
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Wash the inside cavity and outside of the chicken and pat dry. Rub the cavity with the cut side of half a lemon and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Fill cavity with the tarragon, rosemary, garlic cloves, onions and paprika. Truss and tie chicken. Pull up skin from breast, press pecan bits into meat; pull skin back into place. Pour 1/4 cup of the bourbon over chicken and place it on its side in the oven. Roast for 20 minutes, turn to other side, add remaining bourbon, baste and roast another 20 minutes. Turn again, baste and roast a final 20 minutes. Chicken is done when thigh is pierced and juices run clear.
* 30 saltine crackers
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons dry potato flakes
* 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 egg
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1. Place crackers in a large resealable plastic bag; seal bag and crush crackers until they are coarse crumbs. Add flour, potato flakes, seasoned salt, and pepper to bag and mix well.
2. Beat egg in a shallow dish or bowl; heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
3. One by one, dredge chicken pieces in egg beat, then place in bag with crumb mixture, seal bag and shake to coat.
4. Reduce heat to medium and cook coated chicken in skillet for 15 to 20 minutes, turning frequently, until golden brown and juices run clear.
Fried Chicken with Garlic
* 2 teaspoons garlic powder, or to taste
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1 egg
* 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded thin
* 1 cup oil for frying, or as needed
1. In a shallow dish, mix together the garlic powder, pepper, salt, paprika, bread crumbs and flour. In a separate dish, whisk together the milk and egg.
2. Heat the oil in an electric skillet set to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Dip the chicken into the egg and milk, then dredge in the dry ingredients until evenly coated.
3. Fry chicken in the hot oil for about 5 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Remove from the oil with a slotted spatula, and serve.
TRy this kind of Fried Chicken
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
* 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
* 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
* 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 3 cups cooked brown rice
* 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
* 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the chicken, bell pepper, green onion and garlic. Cook and stir until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate and keep warm.
2. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the rice; cook and stir to heat through. Stir in the soy sauce, rice vinegar and peas, and continue to cook for 1 minute. Return the chicken mixture to the skillet and stir to blend with the rice and heat through before serving.
Fried Chicken (baked in oven)
* 1 cup buttermilk
* 1/4 cup hot pepper sauce
* 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
* 1 cup dry bread crumbs
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons onion powder
* 1 teaspoon cornstarch
* 1 teaspoon white sugar
* 1 teaspoon garlic salt
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon pepper
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. In a medium bowl, mix the buttermilk and hot pepper sauce. Place chicken in the mixture to coat. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator 8 hours or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. In a separate medium bowl, mix dry bread crumbs, flour, onion powder, cornstarch, white sugar, garlic salt, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Thoroughly coat the chicken in the bread crumb mixture.
4. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and cook chicken 5 to 7 minutes on each side, until lightly browned.
5. Transfer chicken to a medium baking dish, and bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, until no longer pink and juices run clear.
Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Perfection
* 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded thin
* 1 (8 ounce) bottle Italian-style salad dressing
* 8 slices of stale wheat bread, torn
* 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper
* 1 1/2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
* 1 bunch green onions, chopped
* 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
* 1 (8 ounce) jar oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1. Place chicken breasts in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour in Italian dressing, seal tightly, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
2. Place the stale bread, Parmesan, thyme, and pepper into a food processor. Pulse until the bread is processed into crumbs. Seat aside.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the feta and sour cream. Set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic. Then add the spinach, and cook until it wilts. Stir in green onions, cook 2 minutes. Remove spinach to a plate, and leave any liquid in the pan. Stir in mushrooms, and sautee until soft. Remove mushrooms to plate with spinach. Allow to cool briefly, then combine spinach and mushrooms with feta and sour cream mixture.
5. Stir the sun-dried tomatoes into the mixture, and spread onto a large cookie sheet. Place in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
7. Place chicken breasts on a cookie sheet, and place about 3 tablespoons of the filling mixture in the center of each breast. Roll the breasts, and secure with a toothpick. Transfer chicken breasts to a baking dish, and sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over chicken breasts.
8. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Zesty Chicken Meatloaf
* 1 pound ground chicken
* 2 eggs
* 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
* 3 tablespoons salsa
* 2 tablespoons Ranch-style salad dressing
* 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
* 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
* sour cream (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the ground chicken, eggs, bread crumbs, salsa, salad dressing, and taco seasoning mix. Pack into the prepared loaf pan.
3. Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven. Top with cheese, and serve with sour cream.
Amy's Garlic Egg Chicken
* 1 egg yolk
* 6 cloves garlic, chopped
* 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
* 6 tablespoons butter
* 1 cup dry bread crumbs
* 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1 tablespoon dried parsley
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 1/2 tablespoon salt
* 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1. In a glass dish, beat egg yolk with garlic. Place chicken in egg mixture, and turn to coat. Cover dish and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight if possible.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
3. Melt butter and pour into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Mix together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Dip marinated chicken in crumb mixture. Place coated chicken in baking dish, and pour remaining egg mixture over.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes on each side, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
Friday, April 18, 2008
Lemon Pepper Seasoning Mix